Funny story about this bread I have to share. When Steve was headed to an overnight PSIA event as an examiner a couple years ago I sent him along with a loaf of banana bread. He didn't know if he could eat the whole thing - so he shared with his best friend Terry. At first Terry says, "no, I am not a big banana bread eater...". But with a little persuasion Terry took a bite, and then another. Then Bugs (nickname for Don) came in and joined them --- hesitant, but tried it. I was joining Steve that night and we were headed to our own room and the guys said "He can go, but he is leaving the banana bread!" :)
Sometimes to intice the dessert eaters, as this can truly be served as a dessert, (a healthy one at that) - add a little cream cheese in between slices and cut up to make a great presentation. I love to make it as the bananas go brown and save it in the freezer. You can spread the cream cheese on the frozen bread much better.
OK - enough of my Betty Homemaker tips -- Here's the recipe and some fun photos too!
Side note: When I was a Personal Trainer working out of Artie's Chiropractic office in the Pico, Vermont area this cookbook was given to me as a gift by Shirley Goldman who was the chair of the group that put the cookbook together.
Her note to me: "To a great friend and trainer. Bon Appetite! Shirley
My notes:
Banana Bread
(Always Good)
Borrowed from the "Kosher Yankee II"
A Cookbook compiled by the Sisterhood of the Rutland Jewish Center
Rutland, Vermont
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup flour
4 Tbsp sour cream
1 cup mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
Cream oil and sugar; add eggs and beat well. Add baking soda dissolved in sour cream; beat well. Add bananas, flour, salt and vanilla; mix well. Add walnuts if desired. BAke for 1 hour in350 degree oven in a loaf pan greased or sprayed with Pam. :)
Just throw everything into your Kitchen Aid - beat and put into tins of choice - muffin, small loaf pans are my favorite - or double the recipe and make big loaves too!
I add a little PENZEYS Vietnamese Cinnamon (my special ingredient, optional)
Below some photos of a small loaf - not so perfectly shaped, but my "best" banana bread.... so yummy!
And what picture of food wouldn't be complete without Oakley - just wishing he could have a bite!
2 comments:
Yummy... I remember the taste of it! And your chocolate chip cookies... delicious!
had it tonight and it was amazing. sooo glad i got the leftovers.
Post a Comment