![]() |
| Me at the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge circa 1990's |
But now streaking has taken on a new meaning to me. Runners World put forth the challenge to get people up and running every day for at least a mile from Thanksgiving to New Years. Since I was currently running consecutive days and loving these motivations to keep on the pavement, I joined in. I was able to talk a few of my dailymile friends to do the same. It was Sandra and I who braved it out those short winter days to get our runs in and shared "you are a rockstar" motivations! At first I thought that maybe my body would get tired, achy, and not want to go out every day. I usually catch a cold in the or feel under the weather that a day off is always so nice, but knock on wood, I have stayed very healthy through this whole timeframe. I always have looked forward to my run, but something about this streak thing has me craving running even more and finding new ways to squeak in the miles.
![]() |
| The best running partner ever! |
Today I have been running every day for 95 days
Yes that is running every day since before Thanksgiving for at least 2 miles of running per day. Approaching the 100 day mark is really exciting. I love counting the days!
![]() |
| Me skiing Mt Hood in Oregon - July 2011 |
Why streak? It becomes a habit. It is a challenge. It is another goal to pursue. You have an excuse to tell your story, why you run.... and experience running everywhere you go. You have a reason to change it up, otherwise it will get real boring fast! It is something I haven't done before and as a cancer survivor, I celebrate every day, so why not run every day!
Today is 51 days till the Boston Marathon.
This will be my 25th marathon (not including my 4 Ironman Triathlons & 50 miler) and my 8th Boston!
I am feeling really strong and I credit this runstreak -- nothing gets in my way to get my run in and actually I am known for 2 runs a day to lessen the impact on my body and to get in those additional miles. I have been doing fairly low mileage weeks lately because I am so darn busy, but hope to increase in the next few weeks.
Things I have learned from "streaking"
1. Plan ahead - when & where are you going to run?
2."Just do it" - get out there and run! NO excuses. Even if it is 1 mile (that can be a rest day)
3. Change the scenery, find new routes - keep it interesting
4. Find friends to run with and talk to, it will keep you going & entertained!
5. Hydration, diet and sleep are KEY to keeping up with any endurance event or goal like streaking!
6. Stretch, yoga, meditation - do what it takes to stay flexible and not get injured
7. Log every day - dailymile is great for posting a note about each day of your streak- tell your story and keep yourself accountable.
8. It's all a balance, time with family, time to cross train and time to run!
8. Celebrate your success and share with others - people are real supportive of this healthy habit/obsession called running.
| The Big 4th Springfield MA 2011- Random fun runners everywhere! |
Runners World Holiday Runstreak
Twitter RunStreak Search
Streak Runners International
The Dangers of Streak Running



No comments:
Post a Comment