7/22/06

Sea to Summit NH - New Castle Island to Mt. Washington





New Castle Island to Mt. Washington Summit
110 plus miles * 6288 feet

Nancy’s Results
The Stats:
2nd woman out of 6 (only 5 finished)
22 out of 33 finishers
47 signed up (by application only), 36 showed up, 33 finished despite the odds
Kayak – 12 miles – 2 hours – 8th out of the water
Bike – 97.7 miles (I got lost, the course was 90–more later) – 18.1 mph, 5 hrs, 35 min, 41.5 max speed – approximate time loss was 45 min.
Run – 3 hours (I was delirious at the finish and somehow my watch got knocked on the rocks and stopped keeping time)
Final time was 10:36–It took me a little while to find the summit having never been there before, and between the wind gusts, rain and being the closest I had been to hypothermia in my lifetime, I am pretty lucky I found the timer guy!

Official times below:
F -Nancy
Peck
Kayak- 2:00:02 - 2/6
Bike - 5:35:40 - 5/6 (wish I didn't get lost!)
Run - 3:00:42 - 2/6
10:36:24 - 2/6 = total time

The Weather:
New Castle Island - 79 degrees – foggy – low visibility (lighthouse fog horn))
Route 16 – slight head wind – cloudy – but dry
Dana Place Inn to Pinkham Notch – 68 degrees and dry
Mt. Washington - 57 degrees – 60 mph wind gusts (30 degrees with the wind chill factor) – rain (and I swear there was hail). The rain began just before I reached the shelter and the wind picked up on the steep section of the rocks.

The Players:
Ellen – 1st overall woman – we met in the parking lot when she pulled into park beside us - After we brought out boats to the beach she returned at one point and said “you owe me already – your boat was floating away…..” We chatted on the kayak for the first 20 min, along with some of the other “chatty” others (although there weren’t very many).
Elizabeth – (3rd) A veteran to this race and a strong mom supported by her very proud family. She must have finished the bike when I was lost and I passed her on the beginning of the rocky section headed up to Tuckerman’s Ravine.
Jacqui – SUPER support crew – I got to know them all on the bike….. she had signs everywhere! She finished 4th overall woman.
Lisa – 5th woman – lots of piercing in her ears – from Goffstown, I passed her on the run at the bottom, very nice lady – gave me a big hug at the race party and was so proud that WE finished!

The People:
MY support team - Mario & Jessica – you can’t do this race without the right support - (and of course Schuyler – who would rather have spent the day at Storytown, than in the back seat of a Subaru…)
Jessica was with me to start the kayak – she is an incredible support, always with kind words and observing all those around. She joined me in the beginning of the hike.
Mario was a great support for the whole race, doing the research ahead of time, packing and organizing everything in its special bags and on the bike course listening to my needs of water, performance and bars. Checking in with me to be sure I was ok and encouraging me along the way. Most of all I was so glad he picked up the phone to listen to my desperation and need for directions to get to the finish.
The Canadian (French speaking) motor cycle riders parked on the side of the road that loaned me their cell phone to call Mario when I got lost on the bike.
All the hikers cheering me on up the mountain trail – when they see you with a number they just know and move out of the way – it was pretty cool…..
The older woman who called me her hero – (I responded – “sometimes I am my own hero” – I think I was at that point for the first time in my life) still having the competitiveness of mind thinking I would break that 10 hour mark.
All the people who assured me I was on my way to the summit – if anyone can get lost, I CAN. I have a tendency to veer left and got stuck in the rocks a couple times, as well as the tree brush above timberline….
The guys at the shelter pointing the way to the Summit – searching through his stuff to find me a bag to protect me from the elements at the top.
The older man who asked me all about me – what and why (which I was happy to chat for a little while because he was obviously impressed), walked me to the side of the shelter where the smiling guy with a huge head of dreadlocks gave me a garbage bag. “I owe you – I don’t know when I will see you again, but I owe you!” I called back as I headed up to the summit.
The couple climbing the rocks with me (the man was one of the racers) who gave me a bottle of their water (saved me getting to the top!)
Again – more hikers assuring me the summit was anywhere from 20 min to 45 min away…. : ) Follow the carons – big rock piles that replaced the washed away hash marks sending you to the top. Again – if anyone can get lost – I CAN. I slipped slippery and got lodged into the rocks at one point because of the pelting rain making the rocks , and my Asics just didn’t cut trying to be “spider man” at that point in time. : )
People at the top – answering my desperation to find the summit (note to self: best to climb this mountain before racing it…)
The timer guy with his BRIGHT orange jacket blowing in the wind at the top of Mt. Washington Summit. A sight for VERY sore eyes!
Ellen’s Friends – (aka: Molly) – Kayak friend Heather, that shared her wool hat and fleece coat when I couldn’t find Mario at the top and also found Mario to tell him I was there (he was in the car with Schuyler who refused to come out in the cold). Hiker friend who bought me the hot chocolate. Friendly happy encouraging people I will never forget.

The Fuel:
Breakfast- ½ cup of coffee black – and the old standby – “PB & J”
Water – the colder the better – in the camelback on the kayak and the bike – nothing tastes better than COLD water
Performance – “my liquid power” – 5 quarts on the bike and 1 quart on the run. Because this is a 10 plus hour race and how little you are able to eat, the liquid you chose is so incredibly important. I rely on this stuff!
Cliff Luna bars – Toasted nuts and cranberries – (4 on the bike)
HOT CHOCOLATE
Post race Race dinner – salad, chicken and ½ choc chip cookie
Pizza with Schuyler at the hotel
Justin Isosoles – (YUM)


Lessons Learned:
Know the course – OK we rode the course the weekend before…. But there is so much more you can do to know the course, like…. Maybe hike Mt. Washington or kayak the channel or maybe even ride the bike course with your bike. I didn’t feel like I had time for that, but I paid for it by missing the turn because of the markings that confused me and took me to the finish of another race (that “other race” did a great job of marking there course with the same exact markings S2S did).
Have a plan and stick to it. Planned to have cell phone (didn’t have it when I needed it), planned to have map (didn’t have it when I needed it), planned to have clothes at the top (didn’t have them when I needed them)
Have a communication plan –know where all you key people are and what to do if something happens and we separate.

Reflections:
The kayak start was a mass of faces getting into these skinny kayaks. I had the shortest fattest kayak there (hybrid recommended to be tested for my rep friends from Perception). Obviously my fat kayak held its own (note my finish in the pack). The current was mild in my estimation, but the fog was heavy and the lighthouse fog horn could be heard the entire 12 miles. My hands and back hurt slightly from cranking on that paddle, keeping pace with the others - but it was a great ride and warm up for the bike to come. I finished and as they helped me out of the water I sunk in the mud and fell into the river…. Oh well. : )

The transition was smooth and Mario helped me with my equipment and clothes to head out on the 90 mile bike. I push myself pretty hard throughout – checking the timing and the average speed as I pedal through the roads… my biggest fear being that I would get lost. So, when the markings on the road began to get confusing I worried – turned right and realized I was off course, saw a support vehicle and got back on…. Deep in concentration with less than 20 miles to go there were so many markers (with the same design as the S2S race) turning you to the left I took the turn and ended up at Attitash – thinking I was wrong and then they had a big X in them. I KNEW I was wrong – so upset – I “mentalled” out – frustration set in and I kept looking at the cars yelling “help? I am lost” – finally seeing this motorcyclist couple on the side of the road I pulled across the street and in desperation asked them to use their cell phone. They were speaking French, but understood me and let me use there phone. After 3 attempts Mario answered and I told him I was lost, where I was and he was able to give me direction back. Still bummed and in disarray I pedaled hoping that I would get to the finish, definitely dazed and very frustrated…. After about another 20 min Mario had come back to get me and assured me the finish was up the road. It seemed to take forever but finally I made it to the transition area. Here I swiftly changed into my sneakers and got my fuel belt and singlet.

Whew! Up the road – all uphill in the open on pavement the run began. My belt was too tight and was driving me crazy – I handed it to Mario as he went up to meet Jessica and Schuyler. I kept on running – every step up that hill – this support guy from another group was very encouraging…. “You’re reeling ‘em in! – Keep up the good work”. Bikers and others were also very beneficial to my psyche and I passed about 4 people in the first 4 miles, including 2 of the women that must have passed me on my detour of the bike course (I figure at this time I must have lost about 40-50 min from my “detour”). After meeting up with Jessica at the trailhead I hit the bathroom and then with more energy started to run up the trail. My competitive brain took over and I pushed …. Jess had given me some more performance, but I left my coat and additional water behind. I passed Elizabeth on the rocky section and made it to the shelter. The guys were great and thank god for that garbage bag. I continued to climb the rocks looking up to where the summit I hoped would be… no slash marks could be seen because of the rain, but I caught up to another male racer with his female support who shared some water. My garbage bag kept blowing in the wind and pelting rain so I put my belt around the outside to keep it from blowing over my head. I saw a couple hikers higher that assured me I was almost there (what ever that means….), and then I could see cars parked above the rocks. The visibility was so poor I could barely see it – but the peak had snow and the fog was dense! I asked everyone I could see where to go to the summit and turned around again to climb up some final rocks. The wind was blowing so bad the 2 guys could barely see me and I pulled out my number to show them I was finished! They said my time and I turned to go see if I could find someone and someplace warm…. I was pretty dizzy and disoriented at this point in time, entering the lodge and looking around not knowing anyone – until Ellen’s friend Heather came over to help me and get me warm. My body was bone cold and I was shivering…. She shared her jacket and advised me to get out of my cold wet clothes, but as soon as I sat and they offered / bought me some hot cocoa, I couldn’t get up. I used the towel as a blanket and Heather went to tell Mario that I was finished and in the lodge. Schuyler didn’t want to go out in the cold so they stayed in the car and waited. He tried to call Jess once I told him she wasn’t with me and we waited for a while before leaving hoping she was at the bottom.

We went to the blue Subaru – getting a call from Jess saying she made it to the top and had a ride to the bottom (thank god!). She was an incredible support to me and it was brutal out there!

My finish results I am proud of – to survive the conditions and adversity of this race I am also very proud of – 50% mental – 25 % fuel and 25 % training / strength. You need it all, but if your head isn’t in it – you won’t finish. I finished - it was a truly amazing experience.

FAQ
Why?
I love to be challenged in every way possible in setting goals and going for the “glory” so to speak”. The thrill of the finish, the thrill of competing, of knowing that I can do better and go faster and show my strength as a woman and as an athlete shines brightly in these events. It is a very small percentage of people who ever start an Ironman or endurance / adventure race like this one. I am proud to be one of the “crazies” competing at this level.

What is your training like to get ready for these events?
I am of the “less is more” mindset. There is something to be said for being well rested, not burning out, and listening to your body. My training is sporadic, looking to get in 2 long distance disciplines (run or bike) meaning at least ¾ the distance of the upcoming goaled race. My most faithful training partner - Labrador retriever Oakley wakes me up promptly at 5:15 AM every morning, we stop by my new friend and running buddy, Tina with her dog and do a loop in the neighborhood, which is extremely hilly (even for NH). My cycling is on the weekend or following my run, if I don’t get in the kayak. I take one day off a week and do my long runs / cycles / kayak / swims on the weekend – whatever I can fit in and trying not take away time from the family.

Is that enough training?
In my racing these days (after many years of “base”) 50% is mental, 25% is fuel and 25% is sport specific training. This only works if you have the experience and know your body and KNOW you can do it. I have entered something I didn’t know I could finish and have never quit – I like to push and power myself with the right diet and exercise routine to prove some great results.

What’s next?
I love to race (it’s my speed work, and a great outlet for my energy) – so I am sure there will be something in the weekends in August, including being a part of the New London Hospital team at the CIGNA 5K. My next big goal is to qualify for the national triathlon championships in the ½ Ironman distance – I am signed up for the FIRM-man in Barrington, RI September. Then on October 21 I am running the Chicago marathon with my ACS Relay marathon team, and have a goal of 3:30 (which will be a qualifying time for the Boston marathon).

Wish me luck.

No comments: